tiistai 14. heinäkuuta 2015

Make cycle #4 Learning (eco)system


What do you think about this kind of learning (eco)system? Is there something missing?
Teacher and students together design/ create their learning ecosystem what they need. They should share the phenomenon and open learning task (teacher can give it or they can decide it together), they can maybe work in small groups (like we do in our projects) and why not self-paced - but outcomes are usually unexpected and different. In our projects we have asked the students share the project digitally. And we have usually asked them to record video diary during the project, it helped them the reflect their learning.They can also make video of their learning - like storytelling their learning.  When this learning ecosystem is visible to all in learning community, it can emerges and is flexible and changes during the project if needed. If it is open learning task - the teacher does not know, which kind of learning space/ ecosystem/ environment the students need.

Example of learning in this kind of ecosystem - press cc (translated in English).

 
 How deep does the fish swim in the winter?

Research paper of this project: Liljeström, A. Enkenberg, E. & Pöllänen, S.( 2014)
The case of design-oriented pedagogy: What students’ digital video stories say about emerging learning ecosystems
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10639-013-9284-6 . If you are intersting about it and can't open it (it is not open access journal), please ask, I will send private link.

This learning (eco)system has lots of similairities with Connected learning model. That is the reason why I found CLOOC - it is happy to collaborate with you :)


Emerged learning ecosystem in this project (Liljeström et al 2014)




Applied instructional model of Design-Oriented Pedagogy


More about the Design-oriented pedagogy: Vartiainen, Liljeström & Enkenberg 2012: Design-Oriented Pedagogy for Technology-Enhanced Learning to Cross Over the Borders between Formal and Informal Environments


5 kommenttia:

  1. I like the first system you created; it fits with #clmooc and personalized learning. Thanks for the review of learning systems -- good to know and consider.

    VastaaPoista
  2. I read your paper and one other from the bibliography. I'm wondering what you thought about the 2006 Kirschner et al article on the failure of constructivist learning? I like the top diagram you developed which will help me with my own inquiry. Thank you so much for sharing your work, and I wish you continued success in your endeavors.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Moving from one chart to the next was interesting adventure ... I like the concept of the video diary as process notes along the way of discovery .. that is a powerful way to make visible the system itself ..
    Kevin

    VastaaPoista
  4. The idea that caught my attention most on a second reading was "extended school."

    I love the idea of enthusiast culture - this can be a way to give power to students' family members by recognizing and placing value on their knowledge. This is especially important for my context, where many of the families have limited formal education and as a result often feel disconnected from or intimidated by our school environment. Acknowledging the expertise (and passions) of family members in this way can be a useful strategy for de-centering the school as the "source of knowledge" and centering family knowledge.

    I know I haven't quite responded to your request for critical feedback, mainly because I'm so impressed with your research that I'm not sure how I can suggest improvements! I'd like to spend more time with the two articles you shared and come back for further comment(s) later. Thank you again for sharing your work - I am learning a lot! :-)

    VastaaPoista
  5. Thank you all! It is nice to read comments. I noticed today, that I have to accept those and after that the comments can be visible. For this reason they are late.

    VastaaPoista